Thursday, May 27, 2010

informer

good morning my lovelies!

i didn't think i'd get a chance to write today before work (my first day - eek!), but my alarm just went off and i've been awake for over an hour... i've already showered AND put my clothes in the dryer. talk about being productive. i LOVE being productive.

and how productive have i been at unpacking?? well... i've emptied most of my boxes... i had people come by last night to pick empties up (posted an ad on craigslist and made sure my buff, scary roommate was around so that i wouldn't get held up - you know boxes are obviously a hot commodity). wait. when i say "empties" does that imply beer? hmm.... you know what i mean. for my room, i basically just took boxes that would normally go in my room, threw the clothes and office stuff on the floor and cut up the boxes. i dont' have a dresser, or a desk, or a bookshelf. nothing. for some reason, i own a lot of side tables. side tables don't do much for storing clothes, though.

tonight i'm going to get some more people to pick up some more boxes and then attack my room. i have to get organized with my clothes - i have NO IDEA where my work clothes are - on the bottom of a pile? in some other boxes? who knows? i found some and threw those in the washer last night, but i don't have enough for next week. and to that extent, i need to actually get some new clothes for work. so i was thinking of opening a credit card with a department store to get some good discounts - i was thinking macy's, but my roommate "hates" them (i forgot to ask why). he suggested lord and taylors, which to me seems way more expensive. i want to take advantage of memorial day savings this weekend - so, which do you think? macys or lord and taylors? i want to do business with a company that i like, that treats its employees well, and has a strong US presence, etc. i'm still learning towards macy's because 1) its also in fargo 2) its on the way to work and 3) i've always shopped there. let me know your thoughts, though. or is there some other department store you prefer?

this makes me think of an article i read about the best customer service companies, found here. the main thing: big banks, credit card companies, cable companies and sprint (oh and aol, but who uses them??) are the worst companies for their customers. i only really do business with one (a bank) and am looking to shut that off soon... ooo... i'm just reviewing the good companies and nordstrom is on it. should i shop there maybe?? i feel like they're pretty expensive, but idk. i like netflix, trader joes, and amazon. so that makes me happy that they are high on the good list.

what do you think? wish me luck on my first day!

[Snow - "Informer" song was picked as the 84th best song of the 1990s. it came out in 1993, and was #1 US)]

6 comments:

  1. I like JCPenneys because they have a tall section and everything is cheap. Also, I've been very productive too this morning: I got up at 5:30 to go lift at the Y and now I'm going to work from 9 to 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord & Taylor is totally the best.
    It's regional, or local, or whatever... so it may not be in Fargo. But it's also not a huge, ridiculous conglomerate store that swallows up regional stores and culture. Macy's Inc (formerly Federated Department Stores) has taken over so many regional department stores, including, but not limited to, two Boston-area gems: Jordan Marsh (oh those blueberry muffins!) and Filene's (of the May Company). L&T is technically based in NYC, but it is regional, and was saved from Federated by NRDC, and is the only May Company department store to survive the crazy Macy's Inc national chain takeover.

    And, they run all kinds of crazy sales. I buy a lot of my clothes there, and you know I love a bargain. I'll even go with you on Monday morning, if you want... they're doing some great sales with up to 40-60% off, and they have some of the best designers. www.lordandtaylor.com

    Anyway. That's that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. L&T on Boylston is great.....but I love, love Nordstroms!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea where you should buy your clothes. You know I HATE clothes shopping. But it is good to see my 'keets are so productive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. higgs - thanks for the comment! you may have convinced me.... i will look into it and look forward to having a new wardrobe soon! once i get rid of my old one, that is....

    ReplyDelete