Saturday, July 3, 2010

bathwater

this article came out a while ago, but i've saved it because i wanted to not forget. i'm not sure if i've mentioned it before or not, but i have a (n irrational) fear of sharks. i think they are always in the water, even if its practically impossible for them to be in it. i'm always afraid someone is going to come in to the pool behind me and drop a big shark to come eat me. i know, i know. its totally stupid. but it MIGHT happen one day. some people are afraid of flying (irrational), spiders (you know who), or peanut butter on the roof of their mouth (??!!), and all of these are actual issues. i'm afraid of sharks behind me. or under me. or coming at me. so when an article comes out saying that most shark attacks happen on the weekends and in shallower water, i pay attention. especially on this weekend when people are at the lake, or ocean or on boats enjoying the nice festivities. this does NOT make me feel safe in ocean waters. i went for a bike ride this morning to the esplanade (the area right by the charles river) and there were TONS of people out jogging, riding bikes, even a rollerblader! (i want to be that rollerblader, btw) oh and lots of people out on their boats getting a spot for the fireworks tomorrow night. i am hoping to avoid them, but i might end up watching them with a coworker. what are you up to this weekend (besides avoiding sharks)?

[bathwater is a song by no doubt that i thought appropriate because it really is the only safe body of water...]

6 comments:

  1. Enjoying time alone and sorting through stuff in the old buffet. Organizer. But I miss my expert organizing daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going out on a limb here, but I too have a fear of sharks. I believe this stems from when I would come to visit grandma and grandpa here in Fargo and the only two movies they had to watch are Wizard of Oz and Jaws. I would always start Jaws but never made it through the whole movie. Perhaps this is where your fear comes from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... (to: sara) i wonder... maybe, i guess anything is possible. if thats not the case, do you think its weird that two midwestern girls are afraid of sharks??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all because we don't encounter them ever! When I went to Florida a couple of years ago I made sure to ask around just how safe the water was because I didn't want to be mauled by a shark or other various ocean monsters.

    ReplyDelete