Monday, March 15, 2010

wind of change

its 4:18am. i don't think i have slept a wink so far. i was in bed slightly after 11 and don't remember sleeping at all, yet i am wide awake.

----------------------

now it is mid-morning and i am taking a quick break from a super-fun project looking up transactions to update quickly. (mostly so i don't fall asleep) this project is booooring. but its doubly worse today because i am so so very tired. i did not sleep at all last night because i was ITCHING. EVERYWHERE. i'm not sure if its my new sheets, the fabric detergent they were washed in, or what. i stopped writing above at 4am because i was also looking up information on bed bugs and i determined, using my scientific brain, that i do not have bed bugs, just the itchies. so i tried going back to bed hoping that would make me feel better ("that" being scientifically proving that i don't have bed bugs), but i still could not go to sleep and then at 5:30, my alarm went off. you see, yesterday i moved out of my friends house to an extended stay hotel which i had to hand clean the bathroom because there were strands of hair everywhere and where i now must wear slippers everywhere. this is actually the third room i've been in. the first room i checked into smelt really badly. i called the front desk and the woman told me she would look for some spray and call me back (i didn't want to tell her that i would prefer not to put chemicals into the air for me to breathe in, but i really wanted it to not smell bad, so if she could find the spray i would probably use it). i waited an hour for her to call me back - i was just sitting in a mostly dark hotel room trying not to move much because the place felt gross. when i finally got up to walk around, i noticed the carpet hadn't been vacuumed and there were crumbs on the table. so i went back to the front desk and she told me that the spray was locked in the janitor's closet. i did not ask why she couldn't call me back to tell me that. so she gives me a key to look at another room. i look at it, it's clean and smells fine, but the bathtub has rust stains in it. lovely. so i go back to the front desk and ask about the king size room. its $200 more per month, but by now, i think i need the extra space so i dont kill myself. so i get a king size room and then move all my stuff downstairs to another room.

----------------------

ok, another break. it is now the end of my day and i should be heading home soon... but first, let me finish my story:

so i moved in to my king size room. i waited until after 'til death on fox (not necessarily a good show, but i went to high school with one of the guys on it, timm sharp, and so i thought i would watch to see him for a second) was over before i could go to the grocery store to get some cleaning supplies for my place. i found some of 7the generation - is that the new company? - eco-friendly cleaning supplies and went home. but by that time, i was too tired so i just got in bed excited to be between the sheets (which i assume are clean) rather than sit ontop of the comforter (which is suspect). and i go to sleep. or try to. and i try to. for hours on end. at some point, i realize i'm not sleeipng because my legs and arms keep itching. i'm itching in the bed. its at 4am that i get up and look up bed bugs. they say to check the crevices of the mattress for bug droppings. i see none. i convince myself there are no bed bugs and try to go back to sleep. no avail. my trainer comes at 6:15 and we work out in the dark. i do not like working out in the dark. i do not like working out in the light, either, but i more dislike it in the dark. i wasn't going to go to work because i was so tired, but i realize staying in that apartment is worse than going to work. so i go to work.

and now i am tired. but i've gotten a lot done! and my trainer said she would stop by tonight to bring me a real comforter (with down!) and some extra sheets i can lay on my couch so i dont get grossness on me when i'm watching tv. i still have to unpack and make the place my own, so we'll see how it goes once i've done it up. half the day i've been sitting here wanting to move, but every place in town is so expensive or too far. i'm going to suck it up and live in my bug-infested bed with the "goal" of saving money...

oh, and then while i was up at all hours this morning, i realized that fargo is flooding. again. and i am not there to stop it. err... help. help! help sandbag. so i joined a few twitter feeds to get updates on the river levels (fyi: according to @fargofloodstage: The Red River at Fargo ND is at 25.69 ft which is 7.69 ft above flood stage #flood10 #fargoflood as of 4:36pm California time on Monday). for those far away, you can watch the rising flood levels at http://www.inforum.com/pages/floodcam. as i find more flood articles, i will keep you posted...

and now, because monday is my favorite day of the week, i have a video for you:



["wind of change" by the fabulous german scorpions because, just as momentous as the falling of the berlin wall, i have moved in to a new hotel that is very much like a communist apartment. AND so that higgi and i both know it is wind. not wing.]

2 comments: