Tuesday, September 23, 2008

the way my mind works...

i do this all the time: i think things that are absolutely, illogical and stupid. for example, last week when caro was here, she told me about a cheap grocery store that is very near to here. yesterday morning i went out to find it. i went one way, which (after i thought about it) was a stupid way to go since she told me it was right behind my building. after i turned away from the original direction i was heading, i did truly find the grocery store. it is, indeed, across the street from the building behind me. i have to illegally cross some train tracks, and if i don't get hit by an S-Bahn train, it's really close.

anyway, yesterday, at the grocery store, i was shopping and looking for my pretzel sticks that i have grown so fond of eating in europe. i see a bag that says "sesame sticks." I thought, "that's weird. why don't they just call them pretzel sticks? maybe "sesame" is "pretzel" in a different language." this, of course, is totally and undeniably stupid. when i got home, i discovered that they are, really, sesame sticks. they look just like pretzels but instead of little things of salt on the outside, they have big sesame seeds on them. they're kind of good and kind of weird at the same time. i can't believe i thought they were pretzels. i'm kind of annoyed the bag doesn't say "sesame sticks - similar to pretzel sticks, but different" or something like that to draw your attention to the fact that they aren't pretzel sticks. who would buy sesame sticks??

last weekend i did pretty much the same thing. i was waiting for imke at the train station - i should first explain that imke is over 6 feet tall - and every time i would see someone with hair similar to hers, but clearly shorter, i would think, "well, maybe she had some disease that made her shrink or maybe her feet got cut off." which, of course, would never happen. and imke is still 6 feet tall.

the thing is, i think these things all the time! most of the time, i don't tell people about it, because they are clearly illogical and DUMB. i need to stop doing this. i think my mind is playing tricks on me because i don't think i'm a really stupid person. just sometimes...

2 comments:

  1. um....you need a hug. That was the most special thing I have read in a while! I almost spit my food out when I read that you thought sesame was pretzel in another language. Man I needed that laugh.

    ReplyDelete