Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Guten Tage!!

oh crap. or should that be Gut Tage? I need to learn me some deutsch.

so yeah, today was a good day. a very good day.

woke up later than i wanted (oops), but didn't have to kill any daddy longlegs (although I probably ate some in my sleep)... got ready and headed to class. [although i'll just say this once: its sad when i wake up and no one has commented on my blog... sniff, sniff...] did my homework in the library then had class from 115-545. after class, i hung around with louisa, my new italian friend. she is a 52-year old professor of library science in roma. i really like her. i asked her to show me how to use the U-Bahn and S-Bahn (basically subways and tram system). so we first went to this board where they have postcards and other random booklets up and she gave me a bunch of things to do. then we went to the ... Hersksheft Markt, i think its' called. something like that and she showed me how to take the trains. looks easy enough. then i walked to alexanderplatz to find me a phone, or as they say in germany "Handy."

i first wandered into some store area - kind of like a small mall - and it reminded me SO MUCH of this mall where whitnee and i would walk through in budapest. it even smelt funny! (or is it smelled? crap, my englisch is good not). :) then i found the proper shopping area in alexanderplatz. i went into this store which is kind of like a best buy, but with some sears type stuff, too... i found a Handy for 20 Euro, which is pretty damn good. can you imagine getting a pay-as-you-go phone for $30? hmmm... maybe you can, i havent tried pay-as-you-go. anyway, the guy didnt really speak english, and i dont really speak german, but we were able to understand each other and the understanding was this: i need my passport to get a phone. so i have to go back tomorrow, which is fine. not like i have anyone to call anyway! i have no friends! ha!

then i checked out TVs and think i am going to get one - i can get a TV for like 99euro, and then i'll just sell it when i leave. the nights are LOOONG and boring here if i dont go out, and having deutsch in the background will be good, i think. so i'm going to do that when i get my phone tomorrow...

then i came home around 8 or so, warmed up some chicken things that are most like chicken nuggets, but not really... then i skyped with imke and we planned our trip to... MAINZ!! yay! technically, now its a trip to bonn, renting a car and driving through castles to Mainz and then back to Bonn... should be fun - that is for 2 weekends from now. then i figured i'd book a trip for this weekend since i'm not doing anything. so, now i'm going to.... POLAND!!! yay! there is a really cheap train to Warsaw for 78 euro and a hotel night at the hyatt for 95 euro, so - cheap weekend in poland! that will be sat AM to sun PM.

THEN i briefly chatted with RWH who i think has a new bf, and hasn't told me.... *finger shaking* and also one of my FAVORITE people from the old job who said that my best qualities were "motivated and independent, yet team player." !! awesome! and my negative is "bitch." yay! i've always wanted to come out of the closet and truly be one. ha ha. anyway, talking to them just made my day - even if it was for just a second!

now i shall go to bed with a smile on my face. sigh.... :)

3 comments:

  1. Danielle, isn't it fun to go to bed with a smile on your face? Then, when you wake up, your smile will still be there. I usually go to bed with a smile when the Twins win, so tonight will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D-
    I'm happy you had a good day. I'm kind of jealous of all the wonderful things you will be doing in the next few months. Hope you continue to have days like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm glad you're learning to navigate public transportation. thats officially how you prove you've really lived in another city.

    ReplyDelete